Thursday, May 10, 2007

Day 18 St.Joseph, Mo to Kirksville, Mo 145 miles



Today was one of three “signature” days … one of the toughest days of the ride. Everyone had been fearing it at least a little bit. Long … 145 miles … and hilly … over 6,000 feet of climbing. But reality was it wasn’t too bad. Jerry, Dave, Logan, Brian and I rode together and I think we ended up averaging just under 18 mph and weren’t worn out when we got in. Sure, we were tired, but not beat. I hurt my knee a bit about 10 miles before the end, so I took it easy the last part and then iced it after I got in. I’ll leave with the early load folks in the morning to take it easy tomorrow, at least to start out with. How did I hurt my knee? I was racing down a hill, going about 40 mph, when someone started racing me to a city limit sign. Being (a) male, (b) parent of teenagers, and (c) in the midst of my mid-life crisis, I rashly took up the challenge and tried to beat them to the sign, straining the knee in the process. Oh well.

We stopped at DQ before the end of the ride, then ate dinner at the motel. It was supposed to be good, but they were out of most everything.

No comments: